Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hellboy: Darkness Calls

I was recently shocked to learn that I am the only person at my store that has Hellboy on their pull list. I know this book isn't going to be every one's cup of tea but c'mon... its Hellboy.
Actually, when Hellboy first came out all those years ago I almost passed on the first issue. I had never been a Mike Mignola fan. In fact I really didn't like his art at all on many of his previous comics. I had a few Incredible Hulk issues of his from the 80's and thought they were junk. I think I still own one of his Cloak & Dagger fill-in issues as well. Anyhow, I just wasn't a fan of his "blocky" art style. I picked up Hellboy because it was written by John Byrne, a creator whose work is scattered throughout my entire collection.
I bought that first mini-series and I was amazed, not only at the story by Byrne (which was just as much Mignola's) but the art as well. It was the same style i never really liked but on steroids. It was dark and moody and for some reason it clicked with the story it was set to. I was hooked.
Since then I haven't missed an issue of Hellboy (or B.P.R.D.) and I couldn't be happier that Darkness Falls has finally arrived. If you're a fan of the book then you know the story behind why it's been so delayed and how Mignola chose artist Duncan Fegredo to take over as the artist. If you don't know... I won't bore you here. Just trust me when I say Duncan is probably the best choice Mike could have ever made as an artist for this new six issue series. I've already read the issue but I've picked it back up at least twice just to stare at the art. Not something I often do as a writer.
Set shortly after "The Island", this new Hellboy series doesn't waste any time getting into the wierd and throwing our hero right into a new supernatural adventure. If you've never read Hellboy before, this might not be the best starting point. The mythology Mike Mignola has created over the past thriteen years is astounding. Go grab some of the trade paperback collections which should be available at almost any comic book store worth its salt or you can find them at Amazon or any Barne's & Noble too.
Enjoy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home