Friday, May 11, 2007

The Immortal Iron Fist


Iron Fist. I've never really liked the character.
So when I first saw this book was coming out I passed on it. Then I started reading more and more about it and it grabbed my curiosity. Finally I caved when I saw it on the shelf at my local store and bought the first issue. I haven't been this happy with a impulse buy in a long time.
Created in the 70's by Marvel Comics as a way to capture some of the Kung-Fu craze, Iron Fist was martial artist who would focus his 'chi' into a powerful punch once a day. The core of that character hasn't changed in this new series but the new creative team of Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, and David Aja have taken the character and his legend and expanded on it in a very cool way.
In two separate battles, Danny Rand as Iron Fist must fight the terrorist organization of Hydra and save his company. Quickly discovering his business rivals and Hydra are in league with each other he sets out to find why. The Iron Fist doesn't get too far when his powers fail him. From there we meet Orson Randall, the Iron Fist of World War Two and discover the secret history of Iron Fist, a history Danny never knew existed, and the origin of his amazing powers.
Even if you don't like you're regular, run of the mill superhero books, you'll like this. It reads very much like a plot for a modern day Kung-Fu flick and would be translated well into that medium. If you don't want to go and find the six issues (several of which have sold out nation wide) the collection of the first arc should be in stores sometime this summer. Grab it.. you won't be sorry.
Till next time.

2 Comments:

At May 11, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, dude. I'm gonna try the trade, but if I don't like it, I'm gunning for you!

 
At May 12, 2007, Blogger Ian Ascher said...

Ha! If you lived closer to me I'd let you borrow the issues. The hardcover is actualy in the current Marvel Previews right now and it includes issues #1-6 plus story from one of the Civil War one shots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home